Within the Philippines at present the size of Major and Secondary colleges is being debated whether or not so as to add one other two extra years within the common six years major and 4 years secondary, making secondary additionally six years for a complete of twelve years in preparation to varsity training. College principals and academics alike are divided. Paying mother and father within the privates colleges are resistant whereas even non-paying mother and father within the public colleges increase their brows on the plan of the federal government. Many sectors query this system for that will imply paying extra and staying longer in class. Dad and mom need their children to complete college immediately in order that their kids might help them alleviate their poverty. So what’s the usage of including years within the 100-year lengthy instructional system when Filipino graduates everywhere in the world are aggressive. Beneath is a proposal based mostly from a research the author performed on the Language and Literature program of Famy Nationwide Excessive College Laguna, Philippines on the attainable answer to assist the shortage of scholars preparation and publicity to Literature earlier than they go to tertiary or greater training sans the problem of including variety of years within the secondary college.
After scanning the atmosphere of the scholars, academics and the supplies out there in Famy Nationwide Excessive College in Laguna Philippines they each used after they had the English 4, the proponent noticed the wants to arrange the contemporary graduates from the Famy Nationwide Excessive College by giving a preparatory crash course program in Literature to arrange them for the calls for and rigors of faculty Literature programs.
The fourth-year highschool college students didn’t have sufficient publicity in studying Literature as a result of the guide they used entitled Transferring Forward in English revealed in 1999 which was framed on integrative strategy therefore, mastery of the 4 macro abilities was emphasised all year long. The teachings they’d in Literature was a combined of World Literature, Asian Literature and Philippine Literature given after every lesson. Their publicity on Literature was not based mostly on a stable basis as a result of the main target was extra on language and never on Literature. Out of seven classes, one was solely given to Literature with questions specializing in the ethical or didactic classes. The scholars themselves checked out Literature as springboard classes to language classes with out worth for it as an artwork type.
The 2 academics themselves assigned in instructing the fourth 12 months have been passionate academics instructing the language classes however they develop into much less energetic after they attain the Literature classes as a result of college students didn’t learn. One trainer was BSE main in English graduate from Union Faculty of Sta. Cruz, Laguna and the opposite was unit earner in Training with a Bachelor’s diploma in Accountancy. Each seldom attend seminars on the latest developments and points in instructing Literature due to the shortage of economic assist from the varsity. Therefore, their data and methods have been based mostly from their outdated undergraduate schema.
With these issues, the proponent certainly noticed the wants of making ready the scholars via a crash course program in Literature with the next causes:
1. inform college students concerning the fundamentals of Literature they by no means had in highschool; 2. focus on literature, not as a springboard of language classes, however as it’s as an artwork; 3. put together college students to the calls for of Literature programs in Faculty and 4. immerse college students on the latest developments, methods and points in studying Literature.
B. DESCRIPTION OF THE PROGRAM: The crash course program in Literature primarily goals to arrange the incoming freshmen to Faculty Literature programs that they by no means discovered or encountered a lot in highschool, not as a result of they weren’t taught, however as a result of the strategy then was integrative of the 4 macro abilities and Literature was used as springboard to language classes. The crash course discusses the fundamentals of Literature from ideas, theories, use of methods, developments and points in studying literature utilized altogether in instructing the scholars. This system is barely a crash course to be delivered in 45 hours with 3 hours per lesson. The fifteen-day periods both in MWF (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) or TThS (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) schedules are dedicated to classroom dialogue and different latest actions that culminate in a range present of poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation, actions that are additionally carried out in school. It’s in MWF or TThS schedule to provide college students time to learn and attain their assignments on the teachings earlier than coming to class.
C. PROPONENT OF THE PROGRAM The proponent of this system is Wilfredo M. Valois who’s a present pupil in Physician of Philosophy main in Literature on the Philippine Regular College, Manila. He has been instructing Literature topics on the Royal and Pontifical College of Sto. Tomas (UST), Manila for twelve (12) years. He has taught topics like Philippine Literature in English, Introduction to Literature and Classical World Literature.
D. FRAMEWORK OF THE PROGRAM With the appearance of know-how particularly the tv, radio and web, individuals have develop into much less receptive to what’s going on round them, moderately, they develop into extra depending on what they watch, they see and what they hear moderately than what they learn. Folks’s imaginative and prescient is blurred by the consolation what know-how provides them therefore forgetting the worth of studying, the worth of Literature. Within the academe, with the concentrate on the communicative competence and different ever-changing approaches and theories, the instructing and studying of Literature is usually dwarfed, minimized and even deserted by many faculties.
Carolina Garcia and Ophelia Diamante reminded readers that Literature should inform and entertain. An excellent literature should be capable of awaken individuals from ignorance to enlightenment. Moreover, they stated that literature should have mental worth, emotional worth, non secular worth, universality, permanence, type and most of all artistry.
Equally, Edilberto Tiempo says that literature or good literature is meant to maneuver, it should seduce however a piece’s emotive high quality should not assault the sensibility, it have to be ungirded by reasonableness, by logic, it should complement and fulfill the mind, it should have the inevitability.
The factors on how the literary alternatives on this crash course program on Literature have been based mostly from Jose Garcia Villa’s standards as cited by Edilberto Okay. Tiempo’s solutions on what must be included in any anthology of Literature. They’re substance and type. Jose Garcia villa stated that he adopted double customary of type and substance. Substance requires vitality of topic and important choice of details. Real substance is achieved solely when a pulse beats via the correlated details, for important substance alone, if with out beat of life, stay lifeless substance. To attain validity, due to this fact, substance in fiction must be residing in addition to important. The second check is type. It requires vigor of construction though type and substance in literature are a artistic one and they’re indivisible, nonetheless they’re distinct. Thus making possible this check of type. Kind, in literature, is the satisfactory and delightful externalization of substance. It’s not restrictive, mould, however is free, but artistically disciplined presentation of substance.
Literature liberates the thoughts and spirit as one reads via the pages. The expertise one has in a portray, listening to a classical music or a shifting efficiency in a theatre is just like the studying of a literary textual content. It strikes the thoughts to suppose critically. It touches the center with that emotive energy when one reads poetry or reads a play. All these results and extra are skilled by readers or learners together with the fanatics when they’re arrested by highly effective literary texts with lovely type and substance.
Literature is an instrument to combat illiteracy. Folks have develop into depending on shifting footage and flashed objects that they have an inclination to learn much less. Folks have develop into lazy readers if not none readers in any respect, therefore elevating our standing of illiteracy. Because of the federal government’s effort in placing Different Studying System or ALS in varied municipalities and barangays the place academics educate the illiterates. However the efforts are geared in direction of financial and never creative. Therefore, the talk on the battle between “artwork for artwork’s sake” (autonomy of the artwork) and “artwork for social consciousness” (proletariat literature) is as soon as once more excessive. The crash course gives a solution to this debate because it hinges on bridging the hole and battle between the autonomy of artwork and social awakening by giving college students the creative literary texts that may give them on the similar time an awakening alongside the best way within the research of literatures.
This system is designed to fulfill the wants set by the Fee on Greater Training (CHED) to provide not less than six models of Literature programs throughout self-discipline within the basic training. Specifically, the 2 programs are Introduction to World Literatures and Regional Philippines Literatures. That after they proceed to varsity training, incoming freshmen might be greater than able to face the calls for of the Literature programs with out insecurity and ignorance attributable to lack of publicity and training in literatures.
E. OBJECTIVES: On the finish of the crash course, incoming freshmen are anticipated to: 1. Outline the that means of literature; 2. Differentiate fiction and non-fiction; 3. Enumerate the 5 genres of literature; 4. Examine and distinction the options of narrative and poetry; 5. Draw or diagram the construction of a story plot; 6. Learn a poem with feelings based on its sort; 7. Clarify the figures of speech used within the texts; 8. Establish characters within the brief story, novel or drama; 9. Describe the setting within the brief story, novel or drama; 10. Prepare logical sequence of plot within the brief story, novel or drama; 11. Synthesize themes from the texts; 12. Hint the causes and results of actions of characters within the texts; 13. Recognize the textual content the tradition of a rustic; 14. Establish an writer and his/her work; 15. Analyze a textual content utilizing totally different approaches in understanding literature; 16. Write a critique on the assigned literary textual content; 17. Recite successfully and individually a poem; 18. Dramatize successfully scenes from the textual content; 19. Mount a range present highlighting poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation.
F. COURSE CONTENT: The crash course contains excerpts from Literature programs that Fee on Greater Training CHED has mandated what every school pupil ought to take throughout self-discipline. Specifically they’re:
LITERATURE 1: Regional Philippine Literatures
This course presents a survey of world literatures representing a gamut of human experiences as exemplified in numerous literary sorts and types.
LITERATURE 2: Introduction to World Literatures
This course introduces college students to consultant literatures from the areas tackling the big range of Filipino encounters and experiences as these are expressed via themes comparable to gender, racial identification, class and historical past
G. MATRIX OF COMPETENCIES/OBJECTIVES AND THEIR CORRESPONDING LESSONS:
1. Outline the that means of literature; Lesson on Introduction to Literature 2. Differentiate fiction and non-fiction; Lesson on Introduction to Literature 3. Enumerate the 5 genres of literature; Lesson on introduction to Literature 4. Examine and distinction the options of narrative and poetry; Lesson on Introduction to Literature 5. Draw or diagram the construction of a story plot; Lesson on Introduction to Literature 6. Learn a poem with feelings based on its sort; Lesson on Poetry 7. Clarify the figures of speech used within the texts; Lesson on Poetry 8. Establish characters within the brief story, novel or drama; Lesson in Fiction 9. Describe the setting within the brief story, novel or drama; Lesson in Fiction 10. Prepare logical sequence of plot within the brief story, novel or drama; Lesson in Fiction 11. Synthesize themes from the texts; All classes 12. Hint the causes and results of actions of characters within the texts; All classes 13. Recognize the textual content the tradition of a rustic; All classes 14. Establish an writer and his/her work; All classes 15. Analyze a textual content utilizing totally different approaches in understanding literature;
All classes 16. Write a critique on the assigned literary textual content classes in poetry, brief story, novel, drama and essay 17. Recite affectively and individually a poem; Lesson on Poetry 18. Dramatize successfully scenes from the textual content; Lesson on Fiction 19. Mount a range present highlighting poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation. All classes
H. SYLLABUS ON THE CRASH COURSE PROGRAM IN LITERATURE
Content material/ Subjects Instructing/Studying Actions Time Allotment 1. An Overview on Literature a. Definition b. The explanation why we research literature
Group work brainstorming Dialogue Timeline
2. Sorts of Literature a. Fiction and non-fiction b. In line with international locations c. In line with classification Library analysis Buzz group dialogue Jigsaw puzzle Diagramming
3. Seven (7) requirements of excellent Literature a. Samples for every exemplifying every customary
Pair work Collage Poster-making 3 hours
4. Genres of Literatures a. Poetry b. Quick story c. Novel d. Drama e. essay Popcorn dialogue Diagramming Thought bubbles 3 hours
5. Poetry a. Nature and kinds b. Components c. Figures of speech Lecture Chanting Diagramming 3 hours
6. Studying and analyzing of samples of poetry a. “God Stated I made a Man” by Jose Garcia Villa b. “The Man of Earth” by Amador T. Daguio c. “Si Lola Isyang at ang Matandang Puno ng Kaimito” d. “Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Night” by Robert Frost e. “I’m No one” by Emily Dickenson f. A sonnet by William Shakespeare g. “Psalm 23” by King David Dialogue Studying of the textual content Chanting of the textual content Unlocking vocabulary Function taking part in Pair work Synthesizing via slogan Write a critique paper 3 hours
7. Quick Story a. Nature and kinds b. Components Dialogue Diagramming Library analysis 2 hours
8. Studying and discussing/ analyzing of samples: a. “How My Brother Leon Introduced Residence a Spouse” by Manuel Arguilla b. “Harvest” by Loreto Paras Sulit c. “Footnote to Youth” by Jose Garcia Villa d. “The Girl and the Tiger” Nameless e. “The Present of the Magi” by O. Henry f. “The Necklace” by Man de Maupassant Literary map Thought bubbles Comics strip Film poster Radio drama Skit Function taking part in Tableaux Dialogue Write a critique paper
9. Novel a. Nature and kinds b. Components Dialogue diagramming 2 hours
10. Studying and discussing/analyzing of samples: a. An excerpt from America is within the Coronary heart by Carlos Bulosan b. The Pearl by John Steinbeck Literary map Thought bubbles Comics strip Film poster Radio drama Skit Function taking part in Tableaux Dialogue Write a critique paper
11. Drama a. Nature and kinds b. Components Dialogue Pair work Jigsaw puzzle 2 hours
12. Studying and discussing/analyzing of samples: a. “The World is an Apple” by Alberto Florentino b. “New Yorker in Tondo” by Marcelino Angana Thought bubbles Comics strip Film poster Radio drama Skit Function taking part in Write a critique paper Tableaux Dialogue
4 hours 13. Essay a. Nature and kinds b. Components Dialogue Diagramming 2 hours
14. Studying and discussing and analyzing of samples: a. “Heritage of Smallness” (an excerpt) by Nick Joaquin b. “On Having a Abdomen” by Lin Yutang c. “Of Research” by Francis Bacon Mock debate Pair work Buzz group dialogue Slogan writing Dialogue Write a critique paper 4 hours
15. Culminating Exercise via a Selection Present of: a. Poetry recitation of “Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Night” b. Skit or Dramatization of “New Yorker in Tondo” c. Choral Recitation of “God Stated I Made a Man” Selection present Poetry recitation Dramatization Choral recitation 3 hours
#Preparatory #Crash #Literature #Excessive #College #College students #Philippines